
Streaming guide
Where to watch I Puritani
Availability for United States from JustWatch, via TMDB.
Story
Synopsis
It's hard to imagine a video opera collection without this superbly sung MET production of Bellini's I Puritani. Not that it's perfect by any means, but its excellences--most especially Anna Netrebko's electrifying singing and acting of Elvira--banish carping about other aspects of this memorable night at the opera. Netrebko is fragile from the start, her facial expressions and hand movements immediately conveying the girl's vulnerability. She has a mad scene in each act; the first when she realizes her fiancé has disappeared with another woman, the third, in the final act, a brief relapse when her returned fiancé is taken by the army to be executed. But it's in the second act that the real fireworks occur, with a Mad Scene that rivals Donizetti's Lucia for bel canto primacy. Here, Elvira is first heard off-stage, after the chorus has informed us that she's deranged. She enters wearing her wedding gown and begins Qui la voce in a voice as frail as her psyche.
- Director
- Sandro Sequi
- Language
- Italian
- Release date
- 22 November 2007
Ensemble
Cast

Eric Cutler
Lord Arturo Talbo

Anna Netrebko
Elvira

John Relyea
Sir Giorgio
Valerian Ruminski
Lord Gualtiero Valton

Franco Vassallo
Sir Riccardo Forth

Maria Zifchak
Enrichetta di Francia
Eduardo Valdes
Sir Bruno Roberton

Patrick Summers
Conductor
Community verdicts
Reviews
No reviews of I Puritani yet. Be the first to write one.
Community
Discussions about I Puritani
No discussions about I Puritani yet. Start the first one.