VIDEOESSStream & discovery guide

33m2015

I, Dalio

Documentary

6.4/10

TMDB rating · 7 votes

Add to watchlist Recommend

Streaming guide

Where to watch I, Dalio

Free

No payment or subscription

Availability for United States from JustWatch, via TMDB.

Story

Synopsis

The great French actor, Marcel Dalio, who has the lead role in Jean Renoir's THE RULES OF THE GAME, also appears in Renoir's GRAND ILLUSION. In both films he plays a character who is Jewish, as Dalio was in real life. In fact, in most of the French films he's in the 1930s, he almost always plays shady characters, informers, blackmailers and gangsters. In other words, he is always "the Jew." When the Nazis invaded France in 1940, he fled to America and appeared in CASABLANCA and TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. In America, he was no longer the Jew but The Frenchman. He became, in dozens of films, America's idea of a typical Frenchman. His film career has these two strands in which he has two different identities. Are you defined by other people and their perceptions of who you are? Are you always a creation of the way people want to see you? Or can you exist outside of the arbitrary boundaries which are placed on you?

Director
Mark Rappaport
Language
English
Country
United States of America
Release date
30 April 2015

Ensemble

Cast

Community verdicts

Reviews

No reviews of I, Dalio yet. Be the first to write one.

Loading…

Community

Discussions about I, Dalio

Start a discussion

No discussions about I, Dalio yet. Start the first one.